Exercise Instructor Training for the Older Adult
In 2001 when Fit For Life started delivering group exercise classes to older adults there was no such thing as an activity coordinators. Thankfully that has all changed now ensuring that residents are given as many opportunities as possible to socialise and interact with their peers in as many different ways possible.
The importance of providing activities is widely recognised and group exercise is in particular one of the areas where research shows can have a hugely positive physical and psychological effects for all residents.
Since we started 15 years ago we have now delivered tens of thousands of group exercise classes to older adults (all recorded on our database) and we would like to share this knowledge and expertise with you.
Our three day foundation level course will cover all of the information that is required to understand the basic anatomy, physiology and common medical conditions so that you will be 100% confident that you are delivering a safe, yet effective programme.
In addition we give you an insight into how to motivate your participants, instruct you on how to incorporate different equipment and of course how to make sure everyone is having fun!
Yours in health,
Fit For Life Ltd
Duration: 3 day course
- You can deliver a Fit For Life session, which has been developed over years of experience.
- Your residents can be offered a variety of group exercise sessions every week depending on their ability levels.
- Improved functional ability and levels of independence in your residents.
- An extremely cost effective way to deliver multiple Fit For Life best practice group exercise therapy to your residents.
Day 1 - 9.30 – 4.00pm
- Introduce foundation course & FFL.
- Define physical activity and exercise, and discuss the benefits of exercise.
- Review guidelines for physical activity for older adults.
- Observe and participate in sessions to familiarise.
- Review session structure.
- Detailed introduction to warm up, stretching, & cool down; and practice of same.
- Detailed introduction to batons, and practice of same.
Day 2 - 9.30 – 4.00pm
- Detailed introduction to small & medium balls, games, & seated endurance exercises; and practice of same.
- Participants to assist teaching warm up, cool down, stretches, and batons exercises.
- Introduce basic sitting posture and importance of same.
- Review techniques for assisting residents to mobilise to sessions, and to transfer to chairs.
- Introduce basic exercise intensity monitoring and session structure for components.
- Discuss exercise adherence strategies.
Day 3 - 9.30 – 4.00pm
- Participants to teach session components with FFL therapist supervision, assistance and feedback.
- Discuss safety issues/contraindications.
- Review topics participants find most challenging.
- Final practical run through with certificate presentation upon completion
- On finishing this course you will have the knowledge and confidence to run an effective exercise class, and if you choose to progress into different areas, we have other courses to suit that training choice.
Upcoming Dates and Locations
Dates: 2nd, 9th and 18th of February 2018.
Location: Fit For Life Training Centre 2/3 Sandyford Village, Dublin 18 (just off junction 13).
Dates: 1st, 8th and 22nd of February 2018.
Location: Menlo Park Hotel, Headford Rd, Galway.
Dates: Jan 26th, 2nd + 9th of February 2018.
Location: Limerick City Hotel, Lwr Mallow st, Limerick City.
Places on these courses will be allocated on a first come first serve basis. If you would like to book a place or receive any further information on this course or other upcoming courses please call 01-2137915 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our website www.fitforlife.ie.